Friday, February 12, 2010

What we're listening to: I Told You I Was Freaky by the Flight of the Conchords

I Told You I Was Freaky includes songs featured on the second (and final) season of HBO's series Flight of the Conchords. A duo from New Zealand, Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement have a chameleon-like ability to write and sing songs from different musical styles in a hilarious fashion. On "Hurt Feelings" they demonstrate how "rappers have feelings" by rapping about situations where people were mean to them. For example, when Brett wants to buy a wetsuit he's told to "try a ladies' size." Or, on Jemaine's birthday in 2003 no one calls to wish him a happy birthday: "The day after my birthday is not my birthday, Mum!" Rhys Darby, who plays Murray on the show, joins Bret and Jemaine on "Friends," in which the guys give several definitions for what constitutes being a friend: "I'll cheer you up if you're depressed / If you get murdered I'll avenge your death." My favorite on the album is "Carol Brown," which finds Jemaine singing about past girlfriends and the ways they left him. Jemaine mopes about being dumped by a long list of women; a chorus of those same ex-girlfriends make him out to be a less than amazing guy: "He doesn't cook or clean / He's not good boyfriend material." The comments of Jemaine and his exes sung back and forth get better as the song progresses:

(Jemaine) How can we ever know
We've found the right person in this world?
(Ex-girlfriends) He means he looks at other girls.

I love listening to the Flight of the Conchords because they're funny songwriters and also talented musicians.
Find it in the catalog!