Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Song obessions of the moment

Playing a track over and over again isn't that strange of a behavior for me.  Below are five tracks that I just can't seem to get enough of lately:



Katy Song" by the Red House Painters.  Found on: Retrospective (1999) and Lost Verses Live (2009).   I generally prefer to listen to Sun Kil Moon albums than to the Red House Painters, because I like my Mark Kozelek less angsty and more chill.  This song is definitely on the grim side of the spectrum, sample lyrics "glass on the pavement under my shoe/ without you, is all my life amounts to."  Still, I can't resist a good break-up song.  Plus the guitar vaguely reminds of the Smiths and I love the catchy closing melody.





"Mama's Eyes" by Justin Townes Earle.  Found on: Midnight at the Movies (2009).
I don't normally listen to country music, but I checked out Earle's most recent album Harlem River Blues (2010) and I enjoyed it.  So I decided to check out his earlier work too.  As a whole, I prefer Harlem River Blues, but Midnight at the Movies has more stand out tracks.  "Mama's Eyes" will ring true for anyone who has a somewhat complicated relationship with a parent, which is to say almost everyone.


 



 "Dance Yrself Clean" by LCD Soundsystem.  Found on: This is Happening (2010).  Recently, I saw LCD Soundsystem in concert.  Since then, I've been revisiting their albums. This song is a lengthy nine minutes, but it doesn't stop me from playing it at least twice every time I listen to that album.  This track would make a nice addition to any party mix, as it's hard not to dance along to- even while driving.






"Falling Down" by Tom Waits.  Found on: Big Time (1988) and Glitter and Doom Live (2009). I'm more of a casual Waits listener than some of the Media Corner staff (cough, cough).  However, my iTunes Shuffle cannot get enough of Waits; especially if I'm in a bad mood and skipping lots of songs, so this track fits perfectly.  Waits's distinctive, gravelly sounding, whiskey-aged voice improves with time, so I highly recommend the Glitter and Doom-version.





"Cry When You Get Older" by Robyn.  Found on:  Body Talk, Part 1 (2010).  I've been a fan of both the all ready released parts of the Body Talk series by Swedish pop star Robyn.  However, this anthem is my pick for best of song from the series so far.  It's rare for a heartbreak song to also be catchy, upbeat and fun to singalong to (though not for Robyn).