Saturday, July 24, 2010

Listen to/watch: Arctic Monkeys at the Apollo

Being a fan of the British band the Arctic Monkeys, I knew I was going to enjoy this CD/DVD set. Arctic Monkeys at the Apollo is a two-disc set. The CD is a 2006 live show at Stubb's Bar-B-Q in Austin, Texas, where the Arctic Monkeys perform songs from their debut Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. The DVD is a concert at the Manchester Apollo in England, where the band performs songs from both their debut and their second album, Favourite Worst Nightmare, in addition to a few B-sides: "Nettles," "Leave Before The Lights Come On," "Da Frame 2R," and "Plastic Tramp." A DVD highlight for me is one of the special features, Multi Camera Matt, which shows four different camera angles of drummer Matt Helders during the song "The View from the Afternoon." I also thought it was funny that at certain points during the show lead singer Alex Turner pokes fun at the people up in the balcony section for their somewhat calm demeanor.

Definitely check out this CD/DVD if you are a fan of the Arctic Monkeys. In the time since the DVD was recorded the band has grown as musicians, so I also think it's interesting to see older footage of their performances.
Find it in the catalog!