Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What we're listening to...

Blackout and Circus by Britney Spears:


Twelve dance songs, leading off with "Gimme More," comprise Blackout (2007). My favorites on this album include "Break the Ice" ("I'm gonna hit defrost on ya / Let's get it blazing") and "Toy Soldier" ("This time I need a soldier / I'm sick of toy soldiers"). I have been listening to Blackout lately because the music is very fun to dance and move to; I put the songs on to get my energy pumped up before I leave the house on my daily run.

Circus (2008) includes the hit singles "Womanizer" and "Circus." I really like "Unusual You," which is from the point of view of someone hurt by guys in the past: "Baby, you're so unusual / Didn't  anyone tell you / you're supposed to break my heart / I expect you to / So why haven't you?" This album concludes with the sweet and heartfelt "My Baby." Britney still has her punch and swagger when she sings, and then on songs like "My Baby" reveals a vulnerable side. I have been a fan of hers for a long time and I'm still listening.

Britney performs tonight at 8 PM at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont.

Blackout Find it in the catalog!
Circus Find it in the catalog!