Monday, August 1, 2011

Remembering Amy Winehouse

We only said goodbyes with words
I died a hundred times
You go back to her
And I go back to black.
- "Back to Black"

Grammy-winner singer Amy Winehouse died at the age of 27 on Saturday, July 23 in her London home. While she had struggled with drugs and alcohol these past few years, a cause of death has yet to be determined. Family and friends gathered for her funeral last Tuesday. During her career Winehouse released the albums Frank (2003) and Back to Black (2006). Many celebrities from around the world have used Twitter and other social media outlets to respond to Winehouse's death. I think the words shared by comedian Russell Brand and singer Adele are very touching. As a fan of her small but powerful collection of work, I was devastated to hear the news of her death, and in a way it is still hard for me to fathom she is no longer here.

I have been a fan of Amy's from the first note of "Rehab" I heard her sing on the radio in 2007. After buying my own copy of Back to Black the album followed me everywhere. Her lyrics reached straight for my heart and I played the songs over and over. I never get sick of her voice. Ever since those first listens of her songs I still feel Amy's longing and loneliness whenever I listen to her songs, especially "Love is Losing Game" and "Wake Up Alone," as if I were hearing them for the first time. When I feel down, I put on Back to Black because, and maybe it's weird to put it this way, Amy Winehouse knows those dark feelings, too. She dug so far inside herself on her songs, and in my opinion she was in a class of her own in the music world. No one can take her place. It's heartbreaking that someone so young, and so full of talent, can be gone at the age of 27. Amy Winehouse, you will be missed.

From EW.com:
Amy Winehouse on video: Five classic moments from her career
One of the moments featured is her 2007 set at Lollapolooza

Listen to music by Amy Winehouse:
Frank
Back to Black
"Valerie" on Version by Mark Ronson
"Cupid" on the Valentine's Day soundtrack
"It's My Party" on Quincy Jones' Q: Soul Bossa Nostra
"Fool's Gold" on Sex and the City. Volume 2 soundtrack
"Monkey Man" on the Run, Fat Boy, Fun soundtrack