Monday, October 4, 2010

What we're listening to: Aphrodite by Kylie Minogue

NEW CD POP-NEW AGE MINOGUE
Find it in the catalog!

"Dance, that's all I wanna do," Kylie Minogue sings on "All the Lovers." Minogue's new album Aphrodite is full of upbeat, fun dance music. Aussie singer Minogue is probably best known in the States for the songs "Can't Get You Out of My Head" and "Love at First Sight" from 2002's Fever. If you haven't listened to Minogue since then, you've been missing out. With Aphrodite she shows she has plenty more addictive pop songs in her arsenal. On all the tracks Minogue makes sure the dance beat continues. Current single "Get Outta My Way" finds Minogue singing about leaving an inattentive partner ("I don't recognize the zombie you've turned into") to go out on the dance floor with someone else: "This is what'll happen if you're not giving your girl what she needs." Minogue's positive energy and outlook on life is felt in the songs "Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love)" and "Everything is Beautiful." The title track "Aphrodite" is one of my favorites. The clapping in the background is really energetic; to my ears I think the song sounds like something out of the '80s or early '90s. "Illusion" is another fun song with an '80s vibe. Minogue sings about the connection between people, music, and emotion in "Can't Beat the Feeling:" "When I'm with you my heart plays a rhythm in my head / I can't help but move."

Aphrodite contains songs celebrating the joy of music and dancing, and I recommend this CD to anyone looking to be in a better mood or in need of some dance music. Minogue sums up what she is about in the song "Better Than Today." She wonders, "What's the point in livin' if you don't wanna dance?"