Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What we're listening to: The Fame Monster by Lady Gaga

Filled with catchy dance hooks also found on Lady Gaga's debut of The Fame,  the songs from The Fame Monster have themes that lean toward the dark side. On the single "Bad Romance" Gaga passionately sings about the desire to stay in a potentially harmful relationship: "I want your ugly / I want your disease." "Monster" compares members of the opposite sex to inhumans: "He's a wolf in disguise / But I can't stop staring in those evil eyes." In another song, Gaga names several specific monsters she doesn't want to be involved with, like "Alejandro," Fernando, and Roberto. My favorite, "Teeth," is about being involved with a vampire. With an intense, southern-influenced beat this song always makes me think of the images in the opening credit sequence from the Louisiana-set TV show True Blood. I think all of the songs on the album are strong and worth multiple listens, including "Telephone," which features Beyonce. The one ballad included on The Fame Monster is the piano-driven "Speechless" where Lady Gaga opens up about the pain caused by an ended relationship. I feel that the songs on this album share the idea that despite the pain and darkness that sometimes accompany relationships we still crave to have a partner in our lives.

I must note that the album's lyrics are censored. I did not realize this until I opened my personal copy and listened to the songs. I am very disappointed that the record company did not allow fans to pick whether or not they wanted the censored versions of the songs. As far as I can tell an uncensored version is not available in CD form; the uncensored album is available as an MP3 download on Amazon or iTunes (let me know if I'm wrong!).

Find it in the catalog!