Thursday, December 31, 2009

What we're listening to: Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective

I arrived late to this particular party (just about a year late, in fact). Merriweather Post Pavilion, by Animal Collective, was released in January 2009, and is now making appearances on best-of-the-year lists. I can hear why, but I must warn the unadventurous among us: the disc may not be for everyone . . .

Sonic is the best word I can think of to describe the album. The disc is heavy on overlapping vocals and sounds, and on first listen, the music can be a bit overwhelming. It requires repeated listens to hear, take in, and appreciate it all.

With it's contagious beat and simple (not simplistic) lyrics, one of my favorites on the disc is "My Girls," which is a song about providing for his daughter and wife-- not a subject of too many pop/rock songs. Another favorite is "Daily Routine," which has frantic keyboards interjected into the syncopated beat. "Taste" seems like you're in a trippy videogame.

The songs are all different in content, but the same in eccentricity.

Find it in the catalog!