Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What we're listening to: Lines, Vines and Trying Times by the Jonas Brothers


I checked out the Jonas Brothers' CD A Little Bit Longer earlier this year from the library, not expecting much. I actually found myself enjoying the music and eventually went out and bought my own copy. So I had to check out this album, which definitely has a more mature sound as they deal with relationships and growing up. Kevin, Joe, and Nick write and perform their own music; all the songs save two are co-written by all three brothers (Nick is the sole writer on the other two songs).

"World War III" finds the boys complaining about a girlfriend who prefers to turn everything into a fight. On "What Did I Do To Your Heart" they wonder how they could break a girl's heart when "all I do is treat you with respect / All the best and nothing less." Lines, Vines and Trying Times also features cameos that are both predictable (Miley Cyrus on "Release the Storm") and surprising (Common on "Don't Charge Me for the Crime"). My favorites off the album include "Much Better" and "Black Keys." "Much Better" sounds like something out of the '80s, with its horn section and fun refrain of "You / I wanna fight with you / Make up tonight with / You / You're much better." This song is evidence of how the Jonas Brothers' music has reached beyond teen-pop. In the linear notes for this song they explain how they wanted to share their influences of the Bee Gees and Neil Diamond. "Black Keys," written by Nick Jonas, recalls the honesty and vulnerability of "A Little Bit Longer" (also written by Nick) from last year's album of the same name. I think Nick is the stand-out of this group, and I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually went solo. In addition to his role as a songwriter he also plays guitar. And the piano. Plus the drums. Oh, and don't forget the glockenspiel. The kid is only 17!

Reserve your own copy from the library and listen to Lines, Vines and Trying Times:
Find it in the catalog!