Saturday, August 22, 2009

What are your favorite songs of the 2000s?

We have just over four months left in this decade, so that means it must be time to look back and reminisce about the past ten years.  Pitchfork Media has released a list of the Top 500 Tracks of the 2000s, and the number one spot belongs to OutKast's "B.O.B."  Check the list out for yourself: Pitchfork's Top 500 Tracks of the 2000s  

I will admit that I have not heard of some of the artists or bands included in the list.  I'm going to look up the ones I don't know and maybe I'll discover some new music.  As for what I would include in my personal Best of the 2000s list, I just tried to think of songs released during the 2000s that have strong connections to different points in my life.  As a result my song picks may not be the "coolest" choices, and that's fine by me.

My best of the 2000s list includes (ordered by year):

2000: "Yellow" (Coldplay), "Bye Bye Bye" ('N Sync), "Faded" (Soul Decision)

2001: "Fill Me In" (Craig David), "What It Feels Like for a Girl" (Madonna), "I'm a Slave 4 U" (Britney Spears)

2002: "Cry Me a River" (Justin Timberlake), "Beautiful" (Christina Aguilera), "Gotta Get Thru This" (Daniel Bedingfield), "Love At First Sight" (Kylie Minogue), "Can't Get You Out of My Head" (Kylie Minogue)

2003: "Maybe Tomorrow" (Stereophonics), "The Scientist" (Coldplay), "Toxic" (Britney Spears), "Follow Through" (Gavin DeGraw), "Feel" (Robbie Williams), "Somnambulist" (BT featuring JC Chasez)

2004: "Take Your Mama" (Scissor Sisters), "Love Profusion" (Madonna), "Somewhere Only We Know" (Keane), "Trouble" (Ray LaMontagne), "Hey Ya" (OutKast), "Yeah" (Usher), "Let Me Love You" (Mario), "Take Me Out" (Franz Ferdinand), "The Force of Gravity" (BT featuring JC Chasez)

2005: "Dakota" (Stereophonics), "We Belong Together" (Mariah Carey), "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" (KT Tunstall), "The Way" (Daniel Bedingfield), "You're So Right for Me" (Rooster), "Chicago" (Sufjan Stevens)

2006: "Ain't No Other Man" (Christina Aguilera), "I Bet That You Look Good on the Dance Floor" (Arctic Monkeys), "Promiscuous" (Nelly Furtado featuring Timbaland), "SexyBack" (Justin Timberlake), "Chasing Cars" (Snow Patrol)

2007: "Rehab" (Amy Winehouse), "Falling Slowly" (Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova), "The Underdog" (Spoon), "She Moves in Her Own Way" (Kooks), "Ruby" (Kaiser Chiefs)

2008: "Cobrastyle" (Robyn), "Use Somebody" (Kings of Leon), "Electric Feel" (MGMT), "Burnin' Up" (Jonas Brothers), "Paper Planes" (M.I.A.)

2009: "Ulysses" (Franz Ferdinand)

Check out Pitchfork's list and let us know what you think.  Are there any songs you're surprised are not there?   Which ones would be included on your Best Songs of the 2000's list?